OT: Re: FW: Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Wed Jan 22 23:04:59 UTC 2003

> Drifting off-topic, but those are 'raw' data rates.  Compression algorithms
> along with motion-estimation allow you to get full-screen video down to
> ~1.5 Mbps with not much in the way of image quality loss.

Raw HDTV is about 1.2Gbps. RAW NTSC SDI bitstream is a few hundred.
The 6 and 19.8 are already compressed. Obviously putting more horsepower
to the compression you can achieve smaller data rates. However applying
for example MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 for 1080i or 720p ups the computational
requirements beyond current consumer state of the art.

> I think you'll see it long before every house has fiber run to it.

75% is enough.

Pete