FW: Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Sun Jan 19 13:52:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> > you could partly get around this by blocking all 'SYN' packets going to
> > your customers :-)
>
> and we are hoping none are hosting webservers or mail servers or....
> right? Oh wait! I'll just make them use my datacenters, right?? or were
> you not talking about the attacks?

I was refering specifically to end user workstations. For example home
machines on dial up or broadband connections.
A lot of broadband providers already prohibit running servers and block
certain inbound ports (eg 21 and 80).
*shrug* just seems like it would make more sense to block all incoming
'syn' packets.
Wouldn't that be faster than inspecting the destination port against two
seperate rules?

I don't know how these operators do their blocking..