FW: Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Sat Jan 18 13:58:13 UTC 2003

At 09:29 PM 1/17/2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stewart, William C (Bill), RTLSL wrote:

Well, let's see... on dialup circuits it should be done and should be a
no-brainer. After all, ISPs are required (by UUNet at least) to push in
filters to ensure dialup users can only reach port 25 of that ISPs mail
servers and be blocked from all other spots. How hard is it to push in one
more filter that checks the source IP address of the dialup user to ensure
the address coming from the user is the one assigned?

Sure, dialups are not the only problem, but it's an example of blocking
close (very close) to the edge.

Each time an ISP sells a T1 with a router and assigns a block of addresses,
there's an opportunity to configure that router with filters
(ingress/egress depending on which side you look at it from) and at least
simple firewalling rules. Is this an expense to the installing ISP, or a
cost savings in not having to deal with attacks that came from that network
later? Even when a customer provides the CPE, providing sample
configurations really costs little and would help. In many cases, the
vendor supplying that T1 is one of the same companies which also handles
the "core" so it's REALLY in their best interest to take little steps to
protect their edges (hard to point fingers from the core and say "it's the
edge vendor's problem" when you're also the edge vendor in some cases).

While it's nice that router vendors implemented unicast RPF to make
configuration in some cases easier, using simple ACLs isn't necessarily
hard at the edges either.

The stumbling block for ingress filtering has always been pretty simple: By
implementing ingress, the network you save will be someone else's. You have
to trust that other network operators will implement ingress filtering and
in so doing save your network. Sadly, folks tend to avoid doing things that
might help others, and so I continue to wait for a negligence lawsuit to
wake folks up on this issue.

Eliminating spoofed addresses from the backbone, even if it were possible
to do 100%, would not eliminate denial of service attacks. The DDoS attacks
using coordinated "owned" machines demonstrates this. As spoofing becomes
more difficult, tracing back the source of attacks becomes easier. Network
operators will still find machines on their networks performing attacks,
but when that phone call comes from another network with attack details,
the chances of finding the offending host are much greater.