Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jan 17 18:44:34 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 06:38:08PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow mooed:

> > has something called Source Path Isolation Engine (SPIE).  There
>
> This would be cool to see a design/whitepaper for.. Kelly?

The long version of the SPIE paper is at:

  http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/~snoeren/papers/spie-ton.html

The two second summary that I'll probably botch:  SPIE keeps a (very tiny)
hash of each packet that the router sees.  If you get an attack packet,
you can hand it to the router and ask "From where did this come?"
And then do so to the next router, and so on.  The beauty of the scheme
is that you can use it to trace single-packet DoS or security attacks
as well as flooding attacks.  The downside is that it's hardware.

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/
      I do not accept unsolicited commercial email.  Do not spam me.