Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Fri Jan 17 17:24:05 UTC 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> > Do we need te equivalent of a dog bite law for computers.  If your
> > computer attacks another computer, the owner is responsible.  File a
> > police report, and the ISP will give the results of the *57 trace to
> > the local police.  The police can then put down the rabid computer,
> > permanently.
>
> Good in theory... in practice police has more important things to do. Like
> catching pot smokers.

HAHAHAHA :) Very funny. Seriously though, police can't remove access to
the system for individuals simply because they didn't turn off whatever MS
thing turns on port 445 by default... This gets back to the drivers'
license for internet access/computer use. A nice idea, not practical and
not enforcable :( And... not the solution to most of the problems.

Keep in mind that a majority of the attacks are NOT against 'high profile'
sites/customers... so many times a null route is a perfectly acceptable
solutions.