Scaled Back Cybersecuruty

Avi Freedman freedman at freedman.net
Tue Jan 14 21:06:57 UTC 2003

In article <103014.1607.23062 at avi.netaxs.com> you wrote:

: Seems to be a case of prisoners dilema.  The security of any one network
: is to some extent at the mercy of all other connected networks.  The
: overall security of the network is only as strong as it's weakest link.
:  In a highly competitive market place there is going to be little
: incentive to invest in security if it will just be compromised by your
: cost cutting competitors.

Yes, but:

- Shouldn't we encourage our tax $ go with preference towards good
  network citizens?

- If only a few of the larger networks started implementing better
  practices that engineering groups can't get funded today, we're
  still getting better off.

- Starting at the core, which is who the Feds buy the most IP from,
  still makes life a lot simpler if and when we get the "big one"
  in terms of cyber-attack.

I think this is probably better for a BOF (maybe even the security
BOF) discussion, though...

Avi