Scaled Back Cybersecuruty

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Tue Jan 14 20:16:45 UTC 2003

On 14 Jan 2003, Vijay Gill wrote:

> Avi Freedman <freedman at freedman.net> writes:
>
>> Perhaps the Feds (and maybe states) could use their purchasing power
>> to effect change.  Short of that, or regulation, the I don't see how
>> the serious issues we have with the 'net will get resolved.
>
> People do. I've been beating this particular horse for a
> while now, and we are starting to deploy the capex
> hammer.  I suggest others start to do the same. See my
> presentation at the eugene nanog.

I can see how purchasing power may motivate a vendor (and
maybe lots of individual vendors) to fix their own problems,
develop better products, or be more responsive.

I'm trying to envision an RFP that awards business to one or
a few network operators, but requires that they interoperate
effectively with other operators who don't win any of the
business. I've only got a state-level purchasing
perspective, but I don't see it happening at any level.

Is spending really an effective hammer (or gun) to make
people work together if they aren't otherwise motivated to?
Behavior related to the '96 Telecom Act doesn't inspire
confidence.

Can technical solutions be an effective band-aid for a
complex poli-socio-economic problem like this?

Pete.