Operating on a "war footing" (was Re: Violation of Acceptable Use Policies)

batz batsy at vapour.net
Tue Jan 14 17:31:34 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Sean Donelan wrote:

:Around the world ISPs have learned how to operate in the middle of wars
:and unrest over the last 10 years.  B92 in the former Yugoslavia was one
:of the more vocal ISPs operating during a military conflict.

Not to nitpick, but the entire B92 AS disappeared off the network
for the duration of the conflict about 2-3 weeks before the
ceasefire. Weren't they disconnected on order of the police? (If
memory serves).

:EUnet and
:other ISPs were also active through much of the conflict.  There are
:several other continuing conflicts around the world which don't reach the
:level of full scale military action.

It's hard to tell how well they stood up, most notably Beotel.
We (Will Waites and I) watched for route withdrawals from AS's
registered in the Belgrade area, and due to aggregation, it was
very difficult to tell whether any of them were actually reachable
using BGP information alone. The one notable change we saw was the
withdrawal of all of B92's routes and didn't see them come back
up, though we stopped moniting when the bombing stopped, as we
were just trying to corelate route withdrawals and CNN bombing
reports.

So, from what we saw the Internet fared fairly well in Belgrade, however,
without IGP information, or pings of actual hosts, this is still up for
debate.

--
batz