Scaled Back Cybersecuruty

Avi Freedman freedman at freedman.net
Tue Jan 14 15:43:11 UTC 2003

In article <10309.2406.30280 at avi.netaxs.com> Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

: One of the criticisms of the change relative to this group
: is that the previous stronger wording for the network
: operator industry was watered down. Instead of
: expecting/demanding/mandating that the industry collaborate
: on network security (creating an ISAC and other measures),
: the latest draft simply recommends that the industry
: consider these measures.

: Is there anything happening with collaborative security
: policy and remediation in the industry? Has any effort
: showed progress towards an effective ISAC or similar? Can
: networks realistically collaborate on security, or do the
: political and operational barriers not justify the effort?

: Pete.

Anything should of an action plan involving money or regulation
is a very weak policy.  Suggestions have never had much of an
effect on Internet operators.

I guess the real question is:  What is going to happen over the
next few years to get the infrastructure of the Internet to be more
robust?  I don't see market forces doing it.  I don't suggest that
the government use regulation, either.

Perhaps the Feds (and maybe states) could use their purchasing power
to effect change.  Short of that, or regulation, the I don't see how
the serious issues we have with the 'net will get resolved.

I suppose that the "problem" is likely that people don't understand
what a nice actually well-written worm could/would do if it were
targeted at the infrastructure.

Avi