fast ethernet limits

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Mon Jan 13 18:35:14 UTC 2003

I find the same Kevin..I've done a lot of work in broadcast stations as
well, and ground loops are a constant problem. Hum is introduced into audio
lines, even in balanced pairs, and Cat5 is not much different.

In a high rise, I can see a neutral failing somewhere on a high floor, and
that piece of #10 going incandescent, setting fire to anything combustible
between the floor its terminated on and earth ground. (The resistance of an
old steel framed building is NOT always lower than that piece of copper,
especially old riveted buildings).

Maybe they do it differently in the EU, but fire safety is also a concern
to me.

Thank you, but I'll ground nearest to the earth, common bonded point. Its
served me well over the years.