Violation of Acceptable Use Policies

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 11 22:21:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Which ISP gets to tell the US Military their connection is being pulled
> because Iraq complained about unsolicited bulk e-mail?

I'll be more interested in seeing what the military does when people start
mass spamming US military addresses (doesn't every us soldier/sailor/airman
have an email address? I seem to remmeber that they do for contact with
relatives).

It would be pretty easy for someone to pay a spammer (probably outside the
US) to mail a million US military addresses with interesting stuff on US
foreign policy, warcrimes regulations and zionist conspiricies. Even
the URLs for a few mainstream European newspapaers' websites might be
useful.

Not to mention the "Anthrax in NYC, News blackout" type of chain letter
spreading panic.

I thought the US tried to avoid using tactics which it was more vulnerable
to? This was originally why there was a ban on assassinations.

ObOperational: Does anyone have a pointer to "war footing" practices?
Things like gaving prepared links to News websites, reduced maintenance,
rumor control and the like?

BTW: New Zealand does have soldiers fighting in Afganistan and had peace
 keepers in East Timor so that chances of us being directly targetted
 (NZers were killed in a Bali bombing) are good.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz