fast ethernet limits

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Fri Jan 10 22:04:43 UTC 2003

I believe your pushing the limits as to ethernet over Cat5.
I can suggest you use the very best cable (shielded of course) you can get,
and be meticulous in your connector installations and you might get away
with it. Avoid other wiring if possible (fat chance huh?) and anything
electrical interference producing, like fluoro ballasts, transformers etc. etc.
Ground the end closest to earth ground to a good common point ground in the
building, (not a power box) and leave the other end free floating and not
touching anything electrically.
100 meters is supposedly the limit for ethernet, and "assuming" a 12'
floor, your'e around 24 feet over spec.
You might try to find some cat 6 cable if you can, its supposedly super
premium cat 5, with better freq response and jittter control.
http://www.controlcable.com/products/category_6_cable.html

One last advice, use REAL good patch cables as well...they may help squeeze
the last bit of performance out..