US-Asia Peering

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Jan 10 17:33:40 UTC 2003

      On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
    > commercial vs technical. A lot of us agree this is technically not the best way
    > and produces instabilities with the potential to take out major chunks of
    > internet but it is cheap and this means people will adopt this way of doing it,
    > unfortunately as this has now happened it means those opposed to the idea will
    > have to also consider this as an option if they are to compete.

I don't think it's fair to characterize it as a trend...  I mean, ten
years ago, we were all (generalizing here) stupid enough to try these
tricks.  Fortunately, smarter people have come along since, and learned
from our mistakes.  There are also _vastly_ more people involved in the
industry now than then, so it comes as no surprise that there are still
some newbies trying this, despite all the lessons of the past.  The good
news is that although they're a quantitatively growing group, they're a
shrinking _fraction_ of the whole.  So that's evidence of some small
progress in the state of knowledge.  Fight the law of conservation of
clue!

                                -Bill