US-Asia Peering

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Fri Jan 10 04:37:56 UTC 2003

At 08:14 PM 1/9/2003 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Well, first I think we need to agree that there are two different cases
> here:
> > 1)  interconnecting IXes operated by the same party, vs.
> > 2)  interconnecting IXes operated by different parties.
> >
> > In the first case an IX operator can shoot himself in the foot, but there
> > is only one gun and one person, so you can easily figure out why the foot
> > hurts.
>
>well, now we know you have ever had to debug a large L2 disaster

Randy - You snipped out what I said out of context. Below is the complete
paragraph (and admittedly I should have said "relatively easily" rather
than "easily".) The point is that I don't think we are talking about
interconnecting switches operated by different parties, and I think you
would agree that if it is difficult diagnosing problems with a single large
scale l2 fabric, it is even more difficult with multiple administrative
domains. That was the point.

Original Paragraph:
 >In the first case an IX operator can shoot himself in the foot, but there
is only >one gun and one person, so you can easily figure out why the foot
hurts.
 >In the latter case, there are more people with more guns. Without
perfect >information distributed among the operators, this is clearly a
more dangerous >situation and diagnosing/repairing is more difficult and
time intensive. I believe >we are really talking about the first case.

Woody - I'd still like to hear about the failures "in every prior instance".