US-Asia Peering

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Fri Jan 10 00:53:08 UTC 2003

At 10:35 AM 1/3/2003 -0800, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>     >   clearly, interconnecting their exchange points to create a richly-
>     >   connected Internet 'core' is a natural progression if their
>     >   customers don't complain too loudly.
>     >   not that it's a bad long-term plan...
>
>Actually, it is.  It's failed in every prior instance.

I'd like to understand your viewpoint Bill. The LINX consists of a handful
of  distributed and interconnected switches such that customers are able to
choose which site they want for colo. Likewise for the AMS-IX and a handful
of other dominant European exchanges. By most accounts these are successful
IXes, with a large and growing population of ISPs benefiting from the large
and growing population. So I don't see the failure cases.

>It's one of the many, many ways in which exchange points commit suicide.

I'd love to see a list of the ways IXes commit suicide. Can you rattle off
a few?