DWDM interconnects

jnull jnull at truerouting.com
Mon Jan 6 23:48:31 UTC 2003

> Is DWDM considered a reliable/scalable/operable carrier
> interconnection technology?
>
> Is multi-vendor DWDM (whether internal to the network or for
> carrier interconnection) practical or sensible, especially
> for carrier/network interconnection? Many vendors proclaim
> interoperability, but does that work in the real world?
>
> Pete.

I cannot speak to commonality, but I can offer a real world scenario:

We merged two light rails consisting of Ciena and the other Fujitsu,
both claimed to be standards compliant, but somehow inoperable after the
deal was signed. After much lab work (and many a lawyer's call), we
found that they both were in fact compliant; however, watch out for the
optional parameters. Where one may leave an optional bit blank, another
may use it... Or not understand the use of it. We ended up having to use
some intermediary gear to make the conversion, extra money, but it
narrowly saved a job or two.

Some wise man once said: That's the great thing standards, there are so
many to choose from.

Just do the homework yourself, and don't leave it up to the sales
engineers.

GL,
--j

---