COM/NET informational message

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Fri Jan 3 19:24:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 07:15:43PM +0000, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> Yes, comparisons are case-insensitive.  So what?  strcasecmp()
> works on ASCII strings.  Now it must work on <new encoding x>.
> Why not let <new encoding x> be UTF-8, something programmers
> should support already?  Maybe MS-style Unicode encoding?  Why
> add yet another encoding?!

Even the current MS encoding does not work. Check out 130.161.180.1, which I
think runs VMS. It does not even pass >127 characters to the root-servers.
It is the nameserver for a /16.

dig www.abcþ.com A @130.161.180.1 <- www.abc\xfe.com

> I fear I may be straying OT, for this is layers 6/7...

Hoping for all nameservers to magically break RFC compliance because you
think a 'properly coded nameserver' should behave is naive to say the least.

PowerDNS may well lowercase your query using functions not guaranteed to do
anything useful on >127 characters. Perhaps they are being helpful and
change capital-U-umlaut to lowercase-U-umlaut. Who knows.

Regards,

bert

http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting