US-Asia Peering

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 08:37:57 UTC 2003

On Thu Jan 02, 2003 at 03:59:35PM -0800, William B. Norton wrote:
> This has sent the price point down to historic levels, O($28K/mo
> for STM-1) or less than $200/Mbps for transport! This is approaching an
> attractive price point for long distance peering so, just for grins,...
>
> Are there transport providers that can provide a price point around
> $100/Mbps for transport capacity from Tokyo to the U.S. (LAX/SJO) ?

But, given that peering costs are more than just the circuit cost (once
you include Exchange Point costs, and colo, etc), why would anyone do this
when you can just buy transit for $100/Mbps or less?

I'm going through this at work at the moment, and am having problems
justifying staying at the West Coast, having only just justified the
East Coast, so going to AP (although it's what I'd want to do), is just
way out of the question...

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart             |   Tel: +44 (0)1628 407720  (BBC ext 37720)
Technology Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1628 407701  (BBC ext 37701)
BBC Internet Services      | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
BBC Technology, Maiden House, Vanwall Road, Maidenhead. SL6 4UB. UK