anti-spam vs network abuse

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Feb 28 03:58:16 UTC 2003

From: <jlewis at lewis.org>

> We (Atlantic.Net) have gotten a flurry of abuse complaints from people
> who's systems have been scanned by 209.208.0.15 (rt.njabl.org...a DNSBL
> hosted on our network).  I'm hoping the new PTR record will head off many
> complaints now.
>
> For the past 15 months, NJABL has reactively tested systems that have
> connected to participating SMTP servers to see if those systems are open
> relays.  Just over a week ago, NJABL added open proxy testing to its relay
> testing software.  The proxy testing checks for a variety of common proxy
> software/protocols on about 20 different ports simultaneously.  This is
> apparently setting off some IDS/firewall alarms.
>
> We do not consider what NJABL does abuse, and we reply to all the

Ahh, yes. The age old debate. So long as you, their provider, doesn't
consider it abuse, they should be relatively safe. Obviously, there are some
net blocks up to stop the probes. There always are and always will be.
Networks don't like scans. One thing I'll say about NJABL, it's probably the
most accurate list for what it does. With the added proxy testing, they'll
get more people using the list, along with more complaints. I'll be adding
my log IP's to that list soon enough.

-Jack