Network monitoring/IDS rant - What's hot what's not?

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Wed Feb 26 16:58:30 UTC 2003

> MRTG/RRDTool or RTG are nice packages for somethings, but you might have
> to have a farm of pollers/graphers/displayers (and a few folks to care for
> them/create displays that matter) to poll 100,000 interfaces, eh?

Polling 100000 interfaces every five minutes is only 333 queries per second.

It gets complicated if you want to do something useful with the data you poll.
I´ll be happy to listen to ideas what people would like to do with data from 100000
apart from plotting it on X/Y axis. Maybe some of them would eventually get
implemented properly.

Pete