Network monitoring/IDS rant - What's hot what's not?

Martin hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Wed Feb 26 10:19:46 UTC 2003

Christopher J. Wolff wrote:
> Tivoli, Openview, Unicenter, ipmonitor, mrtg, nagios?
>
> There are many network monitoring options but each option has its
> pitfalls.  I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that any software
> Computer Associates publishes is designed for the criminally insane.
> However, there 'has' to be something that offers more visibility into a
> major WAN than MRTG/RRDTOOL.
>
> Perhaps I'm on a Computer Associates rant today but can anyone share any
> positive experiences with E-trust intrusion detection?  5 MB of traffic
> flow paralyzes a dual P3 with gobs of ram and it still misses signatures
> that Snort does not miss.  Originally I was going to blame this lousy
> performance on application tuning; however, it was a CA engineer that
> set this box up.
>
> Any IDS suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.
>
> Regards,
> Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO
> Broadband Laboratories, Inc.
> http://www.bblabs.com

Chris

All the reviews I've/heard of etc all say snort is the bestIDS. Now I'm
not it is, just passing what I've heard as I've not had the opportunity
to compare the things myself. (also remember that alot of CA software is
aquired by merger not written by themselve so it normally takes a couple
of iterations to get things into the CA way)

as to network monitoring I'll go with mrtg and/or nagios anytime (mainly
'cos of the price/performance issue). PSiNETEurope use MRTG to display
router stats for their customers and so do alot of other people - it
just works.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator