223.255.255.0/24

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Feb 24 05:32:47 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
> 	why would an APNIC/AP region specific issue need to be discussed
> 	on the NANOG list and not the RIPE/AFNOG/et.al. regional ops lists?
> 	This is a prefix delegated to the APregion and so they should be
> 	the ones who set the policies for the prefixes they are responsible
> 	for. I appreciate their willingness to share the outcome of their
> 	deliberations, but why NAites have any special say in AP policies
> 	is a bit beyond me.

The question is really whether IANA properly implemented the relevant
RFC's by delagating a block containing a reserved special use address to a
registry without maintaining the previous reservations on those addresses.

Its not up to APNIC how to handle the reserved special use addresses, just
like the other special use addresses in ARIN's space are really outside
of ARIN's scope.  ARIN can't re-assign special use addresses in "its"
space for other purposes. Nor should APNIC or RIPE or LANIC or any other
registry which is assigned a /8 block containing special use addresses.

Its not APNIC bashing.  If the ARIN board got to gether and decided to
assign 128.0.0.0/16 I think folks would be raising questions about ARIN.

IANA should have properly excluded the IANA reserved special use block
from the delegation to APNIC, just like the other reserved special use
blocks are reserved from ARIN's use.