[Re: [Re: M$SQL cleanup incentives]]

Bryan Bradsby Bryan.Bradsby at capnet.state.tx.us
Fri Feb 21 20:08:46 UTC 2003

> > udp/1434 is not a reserved port. [...] legit
> > traffic that picked a random port to use for an ad-hoc use.
>
> it isn't legit for what i have in my network though :-)

Really? So you're blocking udp/1434 both in and out?

Got any DNS servers on your network? Any of your desktop clients use DNS?

Recent versions of un*x BIND will pick a random port above 1024 for udp
conversations. It can and has picked 1434.

DNS clients will eventually timeout and fall back to another server, so
any problems would be transient, but the packets were legit, right?

-bryan bradsby
Texas State Government Net