manhole covers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Feb 20 22:43:54 UTC 2003

Check out Georgetown in Washington DC, the exploding manhole capital of
the world.  They have a lot of experience with exploding manholes, from
many different causes.  The most recent incident was in the last couple of
days.  There is a lot of energy in being pumped into utility lines.  A
short circuit can release that energy into the underground vaults, and
blow the manhole cover a considerable distance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33073-2003Feb19.html

The Washington Post also has a special report covering exploding manholes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/metro/specials/manholes/