Symantec detected Slammer worm "hours" before

Mike Lloyd drmike at routescience.com
Thu Feb 13 17:46:10 UTC 2003

Sean,

I agree that this claim is innately suspect - I've seen a few
opportunistic press releases on this, at least some of which are clearly
false.

Now at the Security BOF in Phoenix, Avi and I both showed some data with
anomalies prior to the well-known onset time.  Unfortunately, the
anomalies don't match in "shape", but we were looking at different
things (he looked at DNS servers; I looked at averages of many end to
end traces); they did very roughly match in time.

Neither Avi nor I claimed that we had detected the worm early; what we
appear to have are just suspicious anomalies.  I can tell you that a
measurement box of mine reacted several hours before the well-known
onset time, and due to that reaction, was remarkably well positioned
when the attack actually occurred.  I'm ready to believe that I just got
lucky on this one - that I reacted to some other serious signal which by
good fortune got me out of the way.  What I don't know yet is what
exactly my device reacted to.

You added comment on a fiber cut in that time period - can you offer
more detail?  Barry mentioned another roughly simultaneous attack in
Korea.  One other theory, of course, would be trial runs of the worm,
perhaps with restricted PRNG to localize attack.  I've seen no direct
evidence that this happened, though.

Anyone got data points to share on, say, the 6-hour period before we got
Slammed?

Mike