Lawful Interception in the world...

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Feb 11 18:12:46 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Pascal Gloor wrote:
> I'm trying to collect some informations on Lawfull Interception over the
> world...
> Does any country in the world require such things ?

It is always best to consult a lawyer suitably licensed to give legal
advice in the jurisdiction of interest.

Lawyers for US ISPs should be aware of the http://www.cybercrime.gov/ web
site from the Computer Crime division of the US Department of Justice.
It provides a good overview of US Federal law on "computer crime" and
suggested investigation techinques. However, they have nothing to do with
National Security investigation interceptions.  The American Library
Association http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/ provides information which is a
little easier for non-lawyers to read.  The Electronic Frontier Foundation
http://www.eff.org/ has links to numerous groups.