VoIP QOS best practices

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Feb 10 23:04:21 UTC 2003

From: "Charles Youse"

> My main concern is that some of the sites that will be tied with VoIP have
only T-1 data connectivity, and I don't want a surge in traffic to degrade
the voice quality, or cause disconnections or what-have-you.  People are
more accustomed to data networks going down; voice networks going down will
make people shout.

I have run VOIP from Germany without any optimization, customization, QOS,
crossing public Internet, going through a firewall that slows everything and
its dog down, across heavily loaded T1 into my office in LoneGrove,
Oklahoma, and I don't get a delay one, no echo, no problems. Granted, I'm
sustaining a single voice thread here, although it might be useful to point
out that I'm using two different platforms on each side. VOIP can give you
problems, but QOS is usually the least of your worries. I'm more concerned
with the products I'm using and how they handle echo, latency, etc. This is
a market that you test before you buy, and then test some more. If you go
off promo material, you're digging a quick grave, IMHO.

-Jack