VoIP QOS best practices

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 19:01:39 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Ray Burkholder wrote:

> QoS isn't necessarily about throwing packets away.  It is more like
> making voice packets 'go to the head of the line'.  Of course, if you
> have saturation, some packets will get dropped, but at least the voice
> packets won't get dropped since they were prioritized higher.

Thats what I meant too...

To qualify further on where it needs to be deployed, its required on whatever
the slowest link in the typical path to "the Internet". What I mean is that if
you download your email you will utilise the whole bandwidth of the slowest link
in the chain, this may be a dialup modem but more likely in the office to be
your T1, you dont want this full utilisation of the link (which will occur in
small bursts of a few seconds, dont forget with voice we are interested in per
second traffic volumes not 5 minute averages!) to affect the jitter you need to
implement priorities at this point.

Steve