VoIP QOS best practices

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 10 18:43:48 UTC 2003

In a message written on Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 01:19:08PM -0500, chaim fried wrote:
> happens). There is no reason to implement QOS on the Core. Having said
> that, there still seems to be too many issues on the tier 1 networks
> with pacekt reordering as they affect h.261/h.263 traffic.

I've got a question about this issue.  Many networks reorder packets
for a number of reasons.  At least once before I've attempted to
measure the effects of this reordering on a number of forms of
traffic, but I have never understood the particular effects on VOIP
traffic.

Indeed, the two times I was asked to investigate this for video
people it turns out the video receivers /had no ability to handle
out of order frames/.  That's right, get one packet out of order
and the video stream goes away until it resynchronizes.  Now, I
realize reordering should not happen to a large percentage of the
packets out there, but it also seems to me any IP application has
to handle reordering or it's not really doing IP.

So what's the real problem here?  Are the VOIP boxes unable to
handle out of order packets?  Do the out of order packets simply
arrive far enough delayed to blow the delay budget?  What percentage of
reordered packets starts to cause issues?