VoIP QOS best practices

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Feb 10 18:27:39 UTC 2003

    > But I could conceivably have 10+ voice channels over a T-1, I still
    > don't quite understand how, without prioritizing voice traffic, the
    > quality won't degrade...

Well, of course it all depends how much other traffic you're trying to get
through simultaneously.  Your T1 will carry ~170 simultaneous voice
streams with no conflict, but you have to realize that they'll stomp on
your simultaneous TCP data traffic.  But you don't need to protect the
_voice_...

Look, just do it, and you'll see that there aren't any problems in this
area.

                                -Bill