Cisco 7507, erratic behaviour

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 17:05:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Andy Dills wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Andy Dills wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Drew Weaver wrote:
> >

> > > 	Howdy, Im having a little difficulty with a 7507, when I do sh run
> > > it just returns a newline and doesn't show me any the running-configuration.
> > > My privelege level is 15, and this worked yesterday. I also did wr term,
> > > same thing.. New line.. Nothing.. My start-config hasn't been modified, and
> > > show start works great. Everything is working Ok in the router, however I am
> > > concerned for obvious reasons. ;-)
> >
> > Reload it, and when it asks if you want to save the changed config, say no
> > (unless you're a masochist.)
>
> Ironically, this happened to a buddy of mine this weekend, and he was in a
> situation where he couldn't reload for several hours and really needed to
> change the running config...so, I did a couple of searches to see if I
> could figure anything out for him, and I came across a post by Jared Mauch
> on the cisco list (this question would have been better asked there in the
> first place) that suggested doing a "clear ip route *". Sure enough, that
> cleared up the memory logjam and access to the running-config was
> restored.

I've seen this too and it is caused by not having enough free memory to produce
the running config.

Clearing routes usually works as it frees up a lot of memory.

In my experience the only time this occurred in production was because of a
memory leak in the IOS, check your sh proc mem,m find the issue and consider if
it is a bug and a change of ios req'd

Steve