EuroNOG

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet at ndsoftware.net
Fri Feb 7 01:00:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 22:12, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
> > bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
> >
> > > 	I'm still waiting.
> >

> 	I'm not worried about the existance of a purported legal entity
> 	that appears to be hosting a mailing list.
> 	The question I ask, and am still waiting for an answer to is;
>
> 	what are the differences (charter) between the European Operator
> 	Forum (eof)  and the nasent EuroNOG?
>
> 	Young Nich. has failed to respond.  I guess the question is either
> 	too difficult to answer or is perceived to be retorical.

1/ Quick presentation

1.1/ RIPE EOF
RIPE EOF is a working group inside RIPE.
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/eof/

Charter:
The European Operators Forum deals with the operational issues of
networks in Europe, such as new backbones and Internet Exchange Points.

Mailing-list:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail-archives/eof-list/index.html
70 messages in 2002.

EOF meeting during RIPE meeting.

1.2/ EuroNOG
EuroNOG is a community.
http://www.euronog.org/

Charter:
- EuroNOG is a place for exchange technical information related to
security, engineering and operation of the european Internet.
- EuroNOG is not a legal entity. There is no formal membership or
organisation, and no fees. Subscription to the mailing-list constitutes
"membership" of EuroNOG.
- EuroNOG is not a place for political and commercial discussions of any
kind.
- EuroNOG is aimed at european technical engineers and experts, but it
is open to anyone interested in furthering the EuroNOG goals.
- The working language is english.

Mailing-list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
42 messages in 4 days.

EuroNOG is a neutral community with about the
same goals as Nanog for european people.

If you want subscribe to the mailing-list:
euronog-subscribe at ml.euronog.org.

2/ Differences beetween RIPE EOF and EuroNOG

RIPE EOF is not neutral and depend of RIPE.
EuroNOG is neutral and don't depend of any organization.

RIPE EOF don't claim to be a neutral community with about the
same goals as Nanog for european people.
EuroNOG claim to be a neutral community with about the
same goals as Nanog for european people.

RIPE EOF is a working group inside a organization.
EuroNOG is not a working group inside a organization.
EuroNOG is open and make easier creation of working groups, on request
DDoS tracking WG have been created.

RIPE EOF don't have a lof of activity.
EuroNOG is active.

EuroNOG offer many ressources to network operators, any contributions
(tools, documents,...) is welcome.

--
Nicolas DEFFAYET, NDSoftware