your mail

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Feb 5 18:57:45 UTC 2003

      On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Koepp, Karsten wrote:
    > Volume usually totals in+out, whereas average does max(in,out)
    > divided by time intervals.

Well, not to be nit-picky, but that wouldn't strictly be averaging, then.

To get back to the question at hand, another scheme that I'm seeing more
prevalent lately is dual-bin, where local traffic is flat-rate, and
international traffic is measured-rate (i.e. billed per-bit).  That's
relatively easy to do in a simple satcom-up sort of network, since you
just bill by netflow accounting on the satcom interface.

There's been a really good discussion of these sorts of billing methods
going on on the NordNOG list over the past two weeks, and we'll be having
a panel discussion on billing methods at the NordNOG meeting next
week.

                                -Bill