your mail

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Feb 5 18:47:51 UTC 2003

      On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Lynn Bashaw wrote:
    > Does anyone on the list know of any ISPs that bill based on average
    > utilization, rather than some variation of 95th percentile?

Average is just a function of total and time, and time progresses linearly
with time, so average x some $ figure is just the same as saying total x
some other $ figure.

So most people would just look at that as being billing based upon total
traffic volume, which yes, there are folks who do.  I don't know of any in
the U.S., but it's very common overseas, particularly places which have
satellite links in their upstream path.

                                -Bill