Network Operations "Metrics"

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Feb 4 13:48:36 UTC 2003

From: "ren"

*top post corrected*

> At 08:54 PM 2/3/2003 -0800, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>
> >       On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:
> >     > What systems/processes do you use to track all of this
> >     > information, and associate it to overall business success?

Customers Happy + (Bean Counter Happy && Bean Counter != Crook) + Time =
Overall Business Success

One shouldn't make the model too complex. Know your customers and what they
want. Temper that with proper evaluation of cost (ie, don't run at a loss by
giving customer bandwidth for free). This is no different than any other
business, and I've yet to see a company with an SLA perform better than a
company without an SLA that cared about their customers.

> >I assume this was a rhetorical question, since you know as well as I do
> >that all major telcos fly by the seat of their pants.
> >
> >                                 -Bill
Define major. Are you saying that Rural ILECs aren't major telcos?

> I can assure you that is absolutely false Woody.
> -ren

Do you represent a major telco? If so, were you flying by the seat of your
pants when you top posted? :)

Everyone flies by the seat of their pants. If there was a single proven way,
we wouldn't need nanog or have any of the issues that are prevelant today.

-Jack