shuttle flash crowd statistics

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sun Feb 2 01:23:20 UTC 2003

There is not a big spike in multicast traffic as there was on 9/11/2001.
NASA TV multicast only has reports from 3 viewers at present, which
suggest
a total viewership of 10 or less.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 06:02  PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Scott Weeks wrote:
>> BTW folks are interested, but there is little data coming in to share.
>> As time goes on, I hope folks that show unusual traffic levels (on both
>> sides; eyeball networks and content networks as well as transit
>> networks)
>> will send pointers to me that I can share with others.  I am very
>> interested in flash crowd situations and how to mitigate the problems
>> associated with them...
>
> Historically providers have been reluctant to provide that level of
> detail concerning traffic levels.  A few providers, generally smaller
> ones, do make MRTG graphs available.  Once in a while a provider will
> announce they had X Peta/Terrabytes of traffic for some time period.
> But most prefer measurements which can not be correlated with revenue
> (e.g. packet drops, latency, jitter, availability, etc).
>
> I didn't see any noticable change on Abovenet/MFN's public MRTG graphs
> at MAE-West/MIX-West.  Keynote/Matrix public data show no visible
> changes
> of the web sites they measure.  They may have some private data which
> shows more details.
>
> Of course, NASA is a US federal agency, so you can always try the
> Freedom
> of Information Act (FOIA).  But they have other things to do today.

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc.
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme at multicasttech.com
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/