Internet law

Eric M. Fiterman efiterman at pittsburghfbi.org
Wed Dec 31 18:39:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, JC Dill wrote:

> The cost of tracking down and prosecuting them, and the difficulty in
> proving that what they are doing is against the law, is significant.  LEOs
> don't understand how to investigate and prosecute criminal network
> behavior, and they have other crimes they DO understand that presently have
> a higher priority.  It will take a lot of money and education to the LEO
> community before this will become a priority.

I wanted to jump in and clarify a few things.  First of all, we DO
understand how to investigate these kinds of crimes.  The cases may be
more difficult because of the jurisdictional issues that arise, but we
still work them.  Internet/Cyber crime is one of the FBI's top
investigative priorities, and the FBI is dedicating a lot of resources and
personnel to prosecute Cyber criminals.

Also keep in mind that the backgrounds of FBI Special Agents are
changing; new Agents have more technical breadth and experience than they
did before, and are well-suited for cyber investigations.

-Eric