Internet law

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Tue Dec 30 20:09:16 UTC 2003

At 11:01 AM 12/30/2003, you wrote:

> >> when will we see the FBI, and other local police in
> >> the other countries send the script kiddies to the
> >> JAILL so we can use the internet without too much

The cost of tracking down and prosecuting them, and the difficulty in
proving that what they are doing is against the law, is significant.  LEOs
don't understand how to investigate and prosecute criminal network
behavior, and they have other crimes they DO understand that presently have
a higher priority.  It will take a lot of money and education to the LEO
community before this will become a priority.

We don't need new laws.  It is against the law (worldwide) to abuse someone
else's property via trespass, theft, etc.  These laws already exist and can
be used to prosecute those who commit these crimes over the Internet.  The
first anti-spam prosecutions in the US were against Cyberpromo for
"Trespass to Chattels", and were successful.  The problem is that these
prosecutions were very expensive, and ultimately they didn't accomplish
anything (the spammers didn't stop spamming).  Trying to get new laws can
lead to useless (or worse, like the US's new I Can Spam act which
*legalizes* spam).  But it's still against the law to use someone else's
computer without permission.  All you have to do is identify the person
committing the crime, detail how what they are doing is illegal, and
convince a state/district/federal Attorney to prosecute.  And provide
expert witnesses who can help the judge learn why and how these acts ARE
illegal.  And then repeat, repeat, repeat, for years until the
spammers/hackers etc. have been stopped, by getting judges to throw them in
jail for contempt of court when they don't pay their fines or stop spamming
per the judgements issued.

> > You're asking how long it might take for every government in every
> > single jurisdiction in the world to pass a coherent set of laws about
> > something that the average person knows nothing about, and to enforce
> > them in a compatible way?
>
>no.  he's just a troll.  remember the kiddies are out of school
>these two weeks
>
>randy

According to Google, he has posted twice before to nanog, both on-topic
networking questions.  What evidence do you have that he's a troll and/or
an "out of school kiddie"?

jc