Out of office/vacation messages

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at gitoyen.net
Thu Dec 25 20:53:35 UTC 2003

On Thursday 25 December 2003, at 14 h 18,
"Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <larrysheldon at cox.net> wrote:

> Among the ones I found when I looked into the question with some
> rigor a few years ago were that mailing list traffic often no longer
> has a useful "precedence" value that was used to screen such mail.

There are several other tests to perform (if you are a reasonable program, that is), before sending an "Out of the office" message. An obvious one is to see wether your human owner is mentioned in the To: field. Unless the list explodes the messages in one explicit copy per recipient, this is enough.