Extreme spam testing

Paul paul at rusko.us
Wed Dec 24 03:10:54 UTC 2003

andy,

From: "Andy Dills" <andy at xecu.net>

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Paul wrote:
>
> > if i parsed paul's post correctly, that is exactly what he is saying. i
> > agree. his logic and the statement you consider ridiculous make perfect
> > sense to me.
> >
> > i have *not* given anyone permission to scan my boxes by sending out
mail.
> > trying to somehow justify around this is conjecture - a conjecture that,
in
> > my mind, is equivalent to the argument that people have given permission
> > be mailed (and spammed) by putting their address on a website.
>
> I think the concept of "permission" is antiquated in terms of the
> internet.
>
> I repeat my previous assertion: The only authority on the internet is over
> YOUR network.

yep, agreed.

> Because you only have authority over your network, and not mine, it is
> unfair for you to dictate any sort of rules to me, and likewise.

see below.

> Your authority stops at your routers. You don't want my packets, drop
> them.
>
> That's the sole concept of social authority that exists on the internet.
> You control what packets traverse your network.
>
> Given that, you connecting to the internet and accepting my packets is
> implicit permission for me to send packets to those boxes. Don't like it?
> Drop my packets, revoke my permission.
>
> > njabl is welcome to scan me and i, in turn, am free to drop their
traffic at
> > my edge. i do the same to a multitude of abusive sources every day.
>
> Exactly. This is CLEARLY not what Paul V. wants. He feels that if he can
> declare something abuse, that should be sufficient grounds for
> disconnection. He also thinks that the network who must do the
> disconnecting should ignore anything external to the evidence he provides.

 i do not want to be portscanned, so i will drop all future traffic from
you. i am also somewhat annoyed about getting an alert and spending my time
looking into it, so i am going to call your upstream(s) and complain. if
they agree that your behaviour was out of line, they will not transit your
traffic either. if they do not see the light, i add them (AS 6364 in this
case) to my 'we will never do business with them' list. at the end, i vote
with my enable and my dollars.

paul