Trace and Ping with Record Option on Cisco Routers

Danny.Andaluz at triaton-na.com Danny.Andaluz at triaton-na.com
Mon Dec 22 21:45:55 UTC 2003

Hey, Group.

In my production network, I'm trying to do some extended traces and pings with the record option turned on to see what route my packets take going and returning.  It's not working.  If I do the extended traceroute or ping without the record option, it works fine.  There is a firewall (PIX) a few hops in front of the destination I'm trying to record the route for.  What part of ICMP is this that needs to be opened on the firewall to allow this to come back?  First time I'm coming across this.

Thanks,
Danny