A headsup re Verizon Wireless paging

Dave O'Shea daveoshea at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 22 19:15:43 UTC 2003

I'm not sure I'd fault Verizon, it's got to be a major
pain to keep the spam level down on pagers. It would
probably be useful if SMS/paging companies posted a
"this is the approved way to...." guide for customers.

I set up nagios/netsaint with a pager system, and
programmed it to send an "all is well" page twice a
day  to a couple of key people. If you have one of the
super-duper(tm) motorola pagers that skytel uses, you
can even filter those messages so they won't set off
the audible alert; they just show up in the "received"
list. I made a habit of checking the freshness of
those messages right before staff meetings and
customer calls.