Low end router alternative?

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Fri Dec 19 23:26:38 UTC 2003

At 05:18 PM 12/19/2003, you wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Ejay Hire wrote:
>
> > Lucent Pipeline 130, Superpipe 95, or Superpipe 155.
>
>Well 2 minutes on Froogle tell me your definition of cheap and mine don't
>match. For the same price range I would get a netopia R4522 or 5300 which
>will reliably do NAT and all.
>
>With a little more research, I think I can better clarify that I'm looking
>for just about any router (<$50-100) that has a HSSI port and an RJ45
>port. For what I'm looking for at the moment (experimenting)
>used/refurbished doesn't matter so long as it works.

Then you probably want a Netopia PN660. v.35 serial port, NAT, RJ45
Ethernet, etc. They can't be upgraded with a Netopia OS later than 2 years
ago due to flash and RAM limitations so they have limited VPN capability,
but they work great for what they are. You can get them for < $25 on eBay.

This one is currently $9.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3066361701&category=3706

DO NOT buy a PN630/640 or any other model except the PN660 since that is
the only one which will work for your specs. I would have given you one,
but I threw them away a few months ago.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey