good cabling in real environments [Re: Request for submissions: messy cabling and other broken things]

John Kinsella jlk at thrashyour.com
Wed Dec 17 18:04:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:07:13PM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> How do you do good cabling in dynamic, real environments? :-)

You hide the spiders nest with lots of panduit covers? ;)

Honestly, I think it comes down to two things:  Planning before
implementation - you pre-wire your net gear to patch panels before it
goes into production;  This keeps most hands off the back end stuff
except for the occasional test to verify that a patch is working.  This
same planning goes into a second set of patch panels which you terminate
in the racks, that removes another major part of one-off cable pulls.
Rack server, crosconnect to top of rack, back to your patch panels,
cross connect to network patch panel, you're set.

Second part is, as mentioned, have some wiring nazis.  I worked with a
guy a few years ago who kept spare cat 5 in labeled bins for 3', 6', and
12' lengths for red, blue, green and yellow colors.  Each one was
wrapped a certain way without using ties so you could just reach in and
pull one out - He'd go mad if you just threw a cable back in there. :)
I still wrap my spare cables like that without even thinking about it.
You get one or two people like that who have pride in their datacenter,
and your issues are taken care of. :)

John