good cabling in real environments [Re: Request for submissions: messy cabling and other broken things]

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Wed Dec 17 17:31:08 UTC 2003

On 17.12 19:07, Pekka Savola wrote:

> How do you do good cabling in dynamic, real environments? :-)

My own 25 years of experience boil down to:

	Try to plan for expansion as well as possible when designing,
	then periodically start over and completely re-build the messy parts.

The period of starting over depends on the pain level of the planned
outages this may cause and the general pain caused by the state of things.

All clever plans I have seen in this area have not lasted more than about 2-3
years. It seems very difficult to predict where the growth is and how it
happens.

I admit this is a slightly cynical view but "such is life".
What I dread most, are situations where no-one takes the responsibility
for starting over when it is really necessary and everybody suffers.

Daniel