25,000 ton amphibious spam relay

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Tue Dec 16 22:36:01 UTC 2003

Swaar, Matthew L.  writes on 12/16/2003 3:52 PM:

> E-mailing the DOD-CERT is also another way to try to get these things fixed.
>
> (...I'm not 100% certain that getting this fixed was the point of this, but
> figured I'd point that out on the off chance.)
>
> I'm forwarding the header information of this spam to the appropriate folks.

Yup - and this was behind a Raptor firewall, which seems to have added
to rather than subtracted from the general insecurity of an old exchange
server, in this case.

>>   > H: Received: from no.name.available by avnavfw.lpd17.navsea.navy.mil
>>   > H:        via smtpd (for [209.181.16.1]) with SMTP; 16 Dec 2003
>> 05:53:08 UT

The no.name.available and via smtpd in the top header say it all - and
so much for smtp proxies trying to munge every single piece of version
information in sight including the smtp banner, to ensure "security by
obscurity" :)

>   > H: Received: from avnavfw.AVONDALE (205.67.231.5 [205.67.231.5]) by
>   > H:     swn-email.lpd17.navy.mil with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange
> Internet Mail
>   > H:     Service Version 5.5.2653.13)

Not that just plain old exchange of such an antique vintage would have
been anything but secure, nosirree ...

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations