pon's and ethernet to the home

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Dec 9 20:38:42 UTC 2003

www.carrieraccess.com  makes PON CPE gear.
http://www.carrieraccess.com/products/index.cfm/fuseaction/
default_prod/cat_id/118.htm
www.alcatel.com  makes PON 'head end' gear that works with CAC CPE.

Basically,  1 strand of fiber (not a pair) can be used for 16 or 32
customers and will handle up/down data, down video, up/down T1 for
voice at the customer.   Head end voice, video and data is split apart.

Carrier Access Corp  hardware is rock solid,  I have *never* had one
fail.  I don't use the PON stuff but I do use their DS1 & DS3 stuff.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Crocker Communications, Inc.