tracking down subnet announcement disappearing / dropping to a single provider

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Dec 9 05:27:56 UTC 2003

More specific information would help, but this is what I'd think.

1) Flap dampening can exist in pretty discrete blocks of time.

2) Do you announce the entire /19 as a back up in case a provider does
not accept your /22 (many won't)

3) Set up a ping monitor to the service at the ASP, and a ping monitor
to a few of the upstream routers between you and the ISP. Make sure they
are running out of the /22. That way, if only the ASP disappears, you
can tell its not your problem. If everyone disappears, its probably
closer to home.

4) There are guys out there that monitor the flappiness of a route. If
you check route-views.oregon-ix.net for yours and the destination
address blocks, you will be able to see if the "global" internet saw any
flaps.

5) If you are not advertising the /19 and you haven't nailed down the
/22 to a loopback or similar interface, you could be having a physical
interface that the /22 (say a connected route) is running go up/down and
your own router or ISP could be withdrawing it. Its always safer to
announce the larger aggregate and nail down your BGP routes.

Deepak Jain
AiNET