Firewall stateful handling of ICMP packets

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Thu Dec 4 22:52:09 UTC 2003

Adi Linden wrote:

>I am not talking about sending bills for some outrageous amount due to
>excess bandwidth used. Instead cut off when a certain bandwidth threshold
>has been exceeded. If the bandwidth was used purposely and legitametly,
>buy more bandwidth, otherwise fix your PC.

This only works if the guy next door is not selling UNLIMITED 512kbps
connection
for the same amount of $$ than your limited one.
(assuming you would actually be telling your customers about it, if you
wouldn´t
then they would not fix their PCs)

According to my experience, annoyance (slower speed) is not enough to make
Joe User to do things immediately. Only when you severely limit the
utility of
a connection, they´ll start doing the right things.

Pete