AOL rejecting mail from IP's w/o reverse DNS ?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Dec 3 19:15:07 UTC 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 10:42 AM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
>
>> you're right.  it will be.  people will have to clean up their
>> in-addr.arpa.  or am i missing some reason they can't, other
>> than laziness?
>
> See, this is the war I didn't want to start again. Unless I'm thinking
> of a
> discussion on a different list -- I was sure in the whole Verizon "spam
> measures hurting other servers" thread, the whole blocking w/o IN PTR
> records had come up, with people saying they were on hosting where they
> couldn't change PTR records, and the clients who couldn't get mail from
> small offices with Exchange servers on DSL lines where the ISP hadn't
> configured reverse DNS . Then there was the comment on how reverse DNS
> was
> meaningless, and did you still run identd ?

AOL says the PTR record needs to be assigned.  It doesn't specify it
has to match the @domain.com in the MAIL FROM: header.  Wouldn't it be
enough to make sure every IP address you announce has a PTR and
matching A record?  Hasn't this been a requirement for MANY services
for MANY years?

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Crocker Communications, Inc.